‘To speak gibberish’ usually means to be saying (or writing) something unintelligible or nonsensical. It’s not a flattering attribution. However, there is a word game, actually a whole family of word games, referred to as Gibberish. Many people know Pig Latin whose word-formation rules are basically:
- for words that begin with a consonant (or consonant cluster), move it/them to the end and add the suffix -ay
- for words that begin with a vowel, end the word with the suffix -way
- for compound words, factor according to their components
Jane ate a chocolate ice cream cone in the schoolyard –> Anejay ateway away ocolatechay iceway eamcray onecay inway ethay oolschayardyay
In one ‘dialect’ of Gibberish (there are many variants) the infix -idig- is inserted after each syllable of a word. Notice we’re getting a bit trickier than Pig Latin, where you only make one insertion per word unit. The rules for -idig- Gibberish are:
- insert -idig- after the initial consonant or consonant cluster of the syllable
- insert -idig- before the syllable, if the syllable starts with a vowel
- follow the rule for consonants if the syllable begins with ‘y’ or ‘w’
Here are some examples to get you going.
- ball –> bidigall
- tree –> tridigee
- purple –> pidigurpidigle
- waveform –> widigavefidigorm
- or –> idigor
- antelope –> idigantidigelidigope
- yellow –> yidigellidigow
Getting the hang of it? Well then, let’s have a little fun. Translate the following sentences back into standard English.
- Idigit widigas idigaa pidigurpidigle pidigeopidigle idigeatidiger.
- Idiganyidigidigone idigon twidigittidiger idigusidiging gidigibbidigeridigish?
- Whidigat’s fidigor didiginnidiger?
- Idigextridiga pidigicklidiges idigand hidigold thidige midigayidigo, plidigease.
- Tidigo bidige idigor nidigot tidigo bidige: thidigat idigis thidige quidigestidigion.
Answers will be posted tomorrow. 🙂
I believe that is one of the most vital info for me. And i am satisfied studying
your article. But wanna observation on few basic issues, The website style is ideal, the articles is
in reality great : D. Just right process, cheers