If you go to the Word Archive page, there is a new graphic showing the archived Words of the Day organized into a hierarchy of basic semantic categories, an ontology. I’ll continue to add words of the day to this ontology; it is a work in progress and feel free to add your comments and critiques. Designing ontologies in general is not easy and it’s not wholly objective. The general categories I’ve chosen are by no means the only ones that might be appropriate, and of course, astute readers will immediately wonder whether words might reasonably fit under more than one category — maybe we need a network (well, an acyclic graph), not a simple tree of relationships. As time permits I hope to ‘pretty up’ the graphics as well, including an indication of what language the word belongs to (Spanish, English and Old English are currently undifferentiated, for instance). It would also be nice to add links to each word’s definition, so mousing over a term provides you with that information.
Sample Blind Tasting for freeRead sample chapters of Blind Tasting at Smashwords
Word of the DayLEGERDEMAIN (Noun, English) Skilled, dexterous use of the hands when performing magical tricks. Has also taken on a pejorative meaning of deceit or trickery. Note: Cited originally in English during the 16th century. From the French phrase 'léger de main' (light of hand).
- RT @_DanielSinclair: Here's a video of a Chimpanzee using Instagram. It's eye-opening. instagram.com/p/Bwf080_Bfby/ https://t.co/d9AjhfPNN1 1 hour ago
- RT @AMAZlNGNATURE: If you're having a bad day, watch this https://t.co/IxzflofbBW 17 hours ago
- RT @Marandamink: A lovely female Red Fox. I was able to take several photos from my car. Love the paws. #wednesdaythoughts #foxes #nature… 1 day ago
- @PaulSkallas Yes, please! 2 days ago
- RT @WSJ: Uber picks electronic-trading giant Citadel Securities as its designated market maker, or DMM, ahead of its NYSE debut https://t.c… 2 days ago
- RT @JamesFallows: People in the software world, and the aviation world, and both worlds, have sent reccs to this piece by a pilot/software… 5 days ago
- @PaulSkallas fascinating 1 week ago
- Read what six students have to say about social-media mobs. wsj.com/articles/again… via @WSJ 1 week ago