If you go to the Word Archive page, there is a new graphic showing the archived Words of the Day organized into a hierarchy of basic semantic categories, an ontology. I’ll continue to add words of the day to this ontology; it is a work in progress and feel free to add your comments and critiques. Designing ontologies in general is not easy and it’s not wholly objective. The general categories I’ve chosen are by no means the only ones that might be appropriate, and of course, astute readers will immediately wonder whether words might reasonably fit under more than one category — maybe we need a network (well, an acyclic graph), not a simple tree of relationships. As time permits I hope to ‘pretty up’ the graphics as well, including an indication of what language the word belongs to (Spanish, English and Old English are currently undifferentiated, for instance). It would also be nice to add links to each word’s definition, so mousing over a term provides you with that information.
Sample Blind Tasting for freeRead sample chapters of Blind Tasting at Smashwords
Word of the DayLEGERDEMAIN (Noun, English) Skilled, dexterous use of the hands when performing magical tricks. Has also taken on a pejorative meaning of deceit or trickery. Note: Cited originally in English during the 16th century. From the French phrase 'léger de main' (light of hand).
- Kimball's Farm has fresh sour cherries today (til 6:30 pm) https://t.co/bAzwyfIw6G 1 day ago
- RT @zerohedge: Intel Vets Challenge "Russia Hack" Evidence zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-2… 2 days ago
- Delicious read. Charles Dickens makes me want to throw up, writes David Mamet wsj.com/articles/charl… via @WSJOpinion 5 days ago
- Yes! 'matrix' in danger of confusion w/ current (idiotic) fantasy that we are a simulation (like the film) = no ski… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- 👎👎 twitter.com/ggasp/status/8… 1 week ago
- RT @lumidek: Maryam Mirzakhani, RIP dlvr.it/PVn39s https://t.co/N1BCzUgAVc 1 week ago
- RT @DAN_America: Some of the most beautiful and unique marine life can be found on the darkest dives. bit.ly/2tXkahC https://t.co… 2 weeks ago
- @nntaleb Quantum mechanics says no 2 weeks ago