If you go to the Word Archive page, there is a new graphic showing the archived Words of the Day organized into a hierarchy of basic semantic categories, an ontology. I’ll continue to add words of the day to this ontology; it is a work in progress and feel free to add your comments and critiques. Designing ontologies in general is not easy and it’s not wholly objective. The general categories I’ve chosen are by no means the only ones that might be appropriate, and of course, astute readers will immediately wonder whether words might reasonably fit under more than one category — maybe we need a network (well, an acyclic graph), not a simple tree of relationships. As time permits I hope to ‘pretty up’ the graphics as well, including an indication of what language the word belongs to (Spanish, English and Old English are currently undifferentiated, for instance). It would also be nice to add links to each word’s definition, so mousing over a term provides you with that information.
Sample Blind Tasting for freeRead sample chapters of Blind Tasting at Smashwords
Word of the DayLEGERDEMAIN (Noun, English) Skilled, dexterous use of the hands when performing magical tricks. Has also taken on a pejorative meaning of deceit or trickery. Note: Cited originally in English during the 16th century. From the French phrase 'léger de main' (light of hand).
- @joshdcaplan @DustinHammond14 ??? 4 hours ago
- @KimStrassel People want different things, also. Equity 'ideology' is cartoon material. 8 hours ago
- @KellyR75281274 @EricEarly_CA It's clear they have YOU worked up. Social media has limited scope for any serious d… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
- @KellyR75281274 @EricEarly_CA Sometimes artifacts symbolize diplomatic ties, symbols are part of diplomacy. I get t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- @KellyR75281274 @EricEarly_CA Since Lynden Johnson. 10 hours ago
- @KellyR75281274 @EricEarly_CA I believe the bust of Churchill was in Oval for many admins after WW2; Obama removed it, Trump restored it. 10 hours ago
- @KellyR75281274 @EricEarly_CA I'm not outraged. I responded to you comment about decor. Now I'm a sheep? 10 hours ago
- @KellyR75281274 @EricEarly_CA Per FDR remark: If Britain (w/Churchill) hadn't withstood Hitler, we couldn't have la… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago