If you go to the Word Archive page, there is a new graphic showing the archived Words of the Day organized into a hierarchy of basic semantic categories, an ontology. I’ll continue to add words of the day to this ontology; it is a work in progress and feel free to add your comments and critiques. Designing ontologies in general is not easy and it’s not wholly objective. The general categories I’ve chosen are by no means the only ones that might be appropriate, and of course, astute readers will immediately wonder whether words might reasonably fit under more than one category — maybe we need a network (well, an acyclic graph), not a simple tree of relationships. As time permits I hope to ‘pretty up’ the graphics as well, including an indication of what language the word belongs to (Spanish, English and Old English are currently undifferentiated, for instance). It would also be nice to add links to each word’s definition, so mousing over a term provides you with that information.
Sample Blind Tasting for freeRead sample chapters of Blind Tasting at Smashwords
Word of the DayLEGERDEMAIN (Noun, English) Skilled, dexterous use of the hands when performing magical tricks. Has also taken on a pejorative meaning of deceit or trickery. Note: Cited originally in English during the 16th century. From the French phrase 'léger de main' (light of hand).
- @undoctrinated1 @KevinKileyCA Wow 1 hour ago
- RT @Kevin_McKernan: Wow... Single cell human assemblies show Structural variation and mosaicism. Plasticity twitter.com/joanna_hard/st… 1 hour ago
- @BryanDeanWright Questions remain about the election & its legitimacy. No meaningful forensics & much loss in chain of custody of ballots. 15 hours ago
- @ZubyMusic @latisullivan They have data on malaria in Africa, the many children who die yearly. Covid deah data pro… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 20 hours ago
- @lumidek I am hearing that home schooling in US is skyrocketing. Wonder if that's true. 1 day ago
- RT @brithume: The Times turns it back on years of its own reporting, which warned of the fraud potential of voting by mail. It now declares… 1 day ago
- @ScottAdamsSays You can master & understand known laws of physics. You can apply them yourself to new contexts. It takes effort & curiosity. 1 day ago
- @Niconicolplix @geenlid I hear making stable mRNA is a challenge. Was there more stable mRNA in trial vaccine (cost… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago